You may have noticed that the Santon/LDC planning application for the Phoenix Estate/North Street has now been submitted.
On first perusal, there are some superficial improvements in design, as demanded by the South Downs National Park (SDNPA), though we are perplexed by the demolition of the usable industrial buildings of the Phoenix Ironworks, merely to be replaced by pastiche signage on buildings such as ’Shed 2’.
We are glad to see that they have responded to the concerns regarding affordable housing, which has been bumped up to 40%, though the vast majority appears still to be at an inaffordable 80% of market rate.
We will be examining it in depth looking for:
- A guaranteed provision of genuinely affordable homes
- Social housing
- Retention of some existing buildings as requested by the SDNPA
- A genuinely mixed-use site, providing suitable and affordable space for light industry, manufacturing, creative and community enterprises and youth venues
- A scheme that actively reduces the need for car use and enables residents to live and work in the same area
- Adaptation potential for flooding and climate change
- Innovative and sustainable build
- Provision of work space for existing businesses during the development period
- A vision worthy of the largest development EVER in a UK National Park
You can see the plans at http://planningpublicaccess.southdowns.gov.uk/online-applications/ Application no. SDNP/15/01146/FUL
Or, just type in SDNPA into your browser, enter North Street in the search box and follow the links.
Hard copies will be available to view at:
- Lewes Town Hall, High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2Q5
- Lewes Library, Styles Field, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2LZ (key documents only)
- Lewes District Council Offices, Southover House, Southover Road, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 1AB
- South Downs Centre, North Street, Midhurst, West Sussex, GU29 9DH
Lewes Phoenix Rising Team