Guidance on how to make your representations to the SDNPA on the LDC/Santon planning application for North Street. N.B. There will be a meeting for LPR signatories at the Con Club, 7.30pm, Monday 30th March (Map) Formal consultation period. We have received this clarification from the SDNPA: ‘In recognition of the volume of material to…
You may have noticed that the Santon/LDC planning application for the Phoenix Estate/North Street has now been submitted.
On first perusal, there are some superficial improvements in design, as demanded by the South Downs National Park (SDNPA), though we are perplexed by the demolition of the usable industrial buildings of the Phoenix Ironworks, merely to be replaced by pastiche signage on buildings such as ’Shed 2’.
We are glad to see that they have responded to the concerns regarding affordable housing, which has been bumped up to 40%, though the vast majority appears still to be at an inaffordable 80% of market rate.
We will be examining it in depth looking for:
- A guaranteed provision of genuinely affordable homes
- Social housing
- Retention of some existing buildings as requested by the SDNPA
- A genuinely mixed-use site, providing suitable and affordable space for light industry, manufacturing, creative and community enterprises and youth venues
- A scheme that actively reduces the need for car use and enables residents to live and work in the same area
- Adaptation potential for flooding and climate change
- Innovative and sustainable build
- Provision of work space for existing businesses during the development period
- A vision worthy of the largest development EVER in a UK National Park
You can see the plans at http://planningpublicaccess.southdowns.gov.uk/online-applications/ Application no. SDNP/15/01146/FUL
Or, just type in SDNPA into your browser, enter North Street in the search box and follow the links.